[2015-10-24] Mile Hi Con Author's Table

Post events that would interest authors along the Front Range. Conventions? Author related conferences? We would love to hear about it.
JL Zenor
Young Adult

Re: [2015-10-24] Mile Hi Con Author's Table

Post by JL Zenor » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:08 am

I really need to know who else is coming to sell their books at the table.

Also, for those who are part of the anthology AND are joining us at the table, we need to decide how many books to purchase.
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:47 pm

Oh, one more thing, you do NOT have to go to the convention and work the table with us to have your books represented and sold at our table. You will, however, have to share a bit of what is made from each sale (10% of cover price) with the table as a way to thank those who are working the table to make the sale, but you do not have to be there yourself.

You only have to be a current active member of the Midnight Writers.

You will have to get me your books before we leave, and I will make sure we record how many copies of each book you gave us, and then after the convention all unsold copies will be given back along with the money from the books sold (minus the 10%, as I mentioned earlier).
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.

RonfarZ3
Chapter Book

Post by RonfarZ3 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:06 am

I'm not sure I have the time before NaNoWriMo to work the table, but I do have some books that I'd like represented.
Send me a PM of what times work for you to meet so I can get them to you.
The Fluxion Trilogy available on Smashwords! Follow BMW the Author on Twitter and Facebook!

Lena
Short Story

Post by Lena » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:52 am

I'll be there to help sell. I really don't know how many anthology copies to get. 15? Gut instinct says 10 might be too few, but 20 sounds too much.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:59 am

Lena wrote:I'll be there to help sell. I really don't know how many anthology copies to get. 15? Gut instinct says 10 might be too few, but 20 sounds too much.
We can always keep them for the NaNoWriMo event as well, and as we order more shipping is cheaper so if anybody wanted a few copies to sell/give to family members then grouping them in with this order will help with that cost by a good amount.

I already ordered 20 copies of Rite of Passage for the table. I'm excited!

Lena
Short Story

Post by Lena » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:03 am

True, I keep forgetting that. Assume we sell 15 per event and maybe an extra 10 for us to sell/give away ourselves for an even 40?
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:05 am

Lena wrote:True, I keep forgetting that. Assume we sell 15 per event and maybe an extra 10 for us to sell/give away ourselves for an even 40?
While the shipping on that would be a lot lower, we are also looking at a $200 bill for 40 copies, plus shipping... unless we agree to just get the copies and not pay any royalty on them, then we can cut that almost in half.

The balancing act...

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:55 am

We may have a problem with our plan...

When I originally signed up for a table I specified that I was doing this as a kind of writing group co-op. However, I just got this email from the convention staff.
A quick reminder - while there is no charge for the Author's Co-Op Table, you will still need a membership (either through Programming as a Participant or as an Attendee of MileHiCon.) Today (October 2nd) is the last day you can register online. At the door prices and the link to eventbright can be found here:
http://milehicon.org/Registration.html

We understand that programming participation takes priority over the CO-OP Table. If you have a conflict with your sign up time please let us know as soon as possible so we can try to adjust the schedule.

The Rules:
If Authors have space in the Vendors Room or on Authors Row they cannot sign up for the Co-Op table.
If you are more than 15 minutes late for your time slot, we reserve the right to allow someone else to use your time slot.
You may only sell your books at the CO-OP table.
I'll try to contact them to make sure there is no confusion.

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:51 pm

I got word back from Mile Hi Con. They said that our group can sell our group's books, so yay!

We can't, however, sell non-book materials. Which is okay with us as we don't have anything else to sell, but is good to know for the future.

So, that being sorted out the next priority is to purchase business cards and T-shirts.

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:51 am

Books ordered. I ordered 10 copies for each author, which, after shipping, totals $27.50. Note that there will be no royalties paid out on this order. We are all getting an even number and splitting the cost so it should work out. Hopefully all goes well and we get our book in on time. Due to all of the delays, we are running with only a 3 day buffer for shipping or any other problems.

Business cards, we have decided on a design, and I'll order those tomorrow night after finishing the design. I'm too tired tonight. The business will pay for these. The place I'm ordering these from is in Denver and we know the guy, so we don't have to pay shipping. I can pick them up on my way to the con if need be.

T-shirts will be ordered as soon as Lena places her order so I can make sure we have the correct sizes. Please make sure you pay for your shirts via PayPal or give me cash so we can order them without delay. Our time window is running really short.