Online resources

This is a great area to ask authors questions or to share writing tips with your fellow authors. Discuss anything writing related here.
RonfarZ3
Chapter Book

Online resources

Post by RonfarZ3 » Wed May 18, 2016 12:51 am

Ran across this article and I thought the two sites looked like they might be useful. Honestly, I just want something that does a better job of telling me what's wrong with my writing than Microsoft Word does. That way I can "find" and fix what's wrong before sending it out to beta readers and editors.

So, has anyone used Grammarly? How about Tone Analyzer?

Are there other, better online resources for this kind of service out there?
The Fluxion Trilogy available on Smashwords! Follow BMW the Author on Twitter and Facebook!

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Re: Online resources

Post by JL Zenor » Wed May 18, 2016 1:40 am

I haven't used any of those types of services. I don't trust computers to know how to speak properly. :P
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage

Brittany Thurman
Flash Fiction

Post by Brittany Thurman » Wed May 18, 2016 1:51 am

I just did a whole research project over this very topic! I completed a test analyzing Grammarly, Ginger, and Microsoft Word. General findings: Grammarly and Ginger are better than Microsoft Word, but I wouldn't recommend relying on them too completely--they tend to lack the ability to pick out contextual issues very well.

Here's a graph showing the types of percentages of errors the various software caught:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/foq38vka2swvv ... 6.png?dl=0

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Wed May 18, 2016 2:25 am

Nice chart. That's the kind of reply that Ben likes. :D
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage

RonfarZ3
Chapter Book

Post by RonfarZ3 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:17 am

Yes, that was quite insightful. I recognize that my readers and I can figure out the context, it's more the stuff that you get numb to (finding redundant words and questionable style choices) that I'd want a computer to do at least a cursory check on.
The Fluxion Trilogy available on Smashwords! Follow BMW the Author on Twitter and Facebook!