Eliminating the "fluff"

This is a great area to ask authors questions or to share writing tips with your fellow authors. Discuss anything writing related here.
RonfarZ3
Chapter Book

Eliminating the "fluff"

Post by RonfarZ3 » Wed May 18, 2016 12:29 am

So, based on some beta feedback, I decided to go through my manuscript for The Constellation Tournament and remove as many instances of "which" and "that" as I could.
I wrote a blog post about it on my site, but I also came across this article and think I need to add a few more words to my "hunt".

What words do you find you need to remove from your writing?
Last edited by RonfarZ3 on Wed May 18, 2016 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Fluxion Trilogy available on Smashwords! Follow BMW the Author on Twitter and Facebook!

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Re: Eliminating the "fluff"

Post by JL Zenor » Wed May 18, 2016 1:42 am

That, and sigh. :D

Also, for BBcode, you would use square brackets for your italics [ i] [ /i], without the space in there.
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage

RonfarZ3
Chapter Book

Post by RonfarZ3 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:14 am

Ah . . . so many html formats out there . . . I forget which places use which forms.
The Fluxion Trilogy available on Smashwords! Follow BMW the Author on Twitter and Facebook!

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Wed May 18, 2016 4:34 am

RonfarZ3 wrote:Ah . . . so many html formats out there . . . I forget which places use which forms.
Forums use BB code, which stands for Bulletin Boards. It's basically HTML short code, meant to protect the forum from people posting whatever HTML they want on the forums.
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage