7 Parts of Story Structure, by Dan Wells

This is a great area to ask authors questions or to share writing tips with your fellow authors. Discuss anything writing related here.
JL Zenor
Young Adult

7 Parts of Story Structure, by Dan Wells

Post by JL Zenor » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:03 pm

This video series from Dan Wells has some really interesting things to say about story structure.

The basics
  • Hook - Introduce the character/situation that is opposite of the ending
  • Plot Turn - The hero finds out something that launches them into the story
  • Pinch - Things get worse for the heroes
  • Midpoint - Moving from reaction to action
  • Pinch - Characters are put in the jaws of death, everything goes wrong, everything is horrible!
  • Plot Turn - The characters escape the jaws of death. Receive/setup one final piece they need to defeat the bad guy. What they receive could be the belief that The power is in you!
  • Resolution
The thing that I thought was interesting throughout all of this, was how each subplot follows the same structure, and you weave them through the story at different paces.

Here are the videos. Enjoy, and let me know what you think!

Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Re: 7 Parts of Story Structure, by Dan Wells

Post by JL Zenor » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:31 am

Bumping this post because this will be helpful as I'm working on my raptor story :D
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage