Short Story writing tips

This is a great area to ask authors questions or to share writing tips with your fellow authors. Discuss anything writing related here.
JL Zenor
Young Adult

Short Story writing tips

Post by JL Zenor » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:45 pm

I found this website that had some good tips on how to write a short story. Check it out!

https://www.jerryjenkins.com/how-to-wri ... a2ece5cd79

Do you have any tips that you would provide? We've written enough of them now that we should be able to offer something...
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage

RonfarZ3
Chapter Book

Re: Short Story writing tips

Post by RonfarZ3 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:29 am

Boy, do I struggle with #3. I guess I shouldn't have started writing novels first ;P

I do agree with most of his points, but I'd add something to #1: critique the stories you read.
If you can figure out what you liked and did not like about these stories, then these are the things you'll likely want to include and avoid in your writing, respectively. Even a nearly flawless short story might have a small weakness if you look for it.
The Fluxion Trilogy available on Smashwords! Follow BMW the Author on Twitter and Facebook!

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Re: Short Story writing tips

Post by JL Zenor » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Very true. While we do learn from just reading the stories, an intentional critique of it will help us get more out of it.
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage