2017 Anthology Topic Discussion

An open discussion about anything related to the Midnight Writers. What events you saw us at, progress on the anthologies, or anything else you may want to know.
JL Zenor
Young Adult

2017 Anthology Topic Discussion

Post by JL Zenor » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:58 am

We need to decide on a topic for next year. There are several topic ideas that are neat, and will likely generate a few good stories (i.e. your character is given a list of names, why?), but we're looking for something that when you hear it makes you say "OOHHH! I HAVE TO WRITE A STORY FOR THAT!" Much like what we had this year with Domesticated Velociraptors.

I've had a couple of ideas, but they need work.

One idea is Living in a Computer System, which I got from this video (it's interesting, you should watch), but that idea is fairly limiting in the genre and breadth of topics.

Another idea I like is Adrift. It needs something to go with it (Found Adrift, Drifting Dead, etc), but the basic idea is that it's about a ship that's adrift. This could be an ocean fairing vessel (spanning almost any genre and time span), air ship (steam punk anyone?), or even a space ship (sci-fi). This seems a lot more open as to what the story is about or even who's perspective it's from. (Did the MC find the ship? Stuck on the ship?)

These are just a few ideas to get things rolling. Anybody else have an awesome idea that might make for an interesting anthology topic?
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Re: 2017 Anthology Topic Discussion

Post by JL Zenor » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:27 pm

IMG_0992.JPG
IMG_0992.JPG (123.35 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
Well, not a squirrel, but a life debt... :D
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.

Lena
Short Story

Post by Lena » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:34 pm

I saw that, and I thought it would make a great story. Squirrel Life Debt...odd but intriguing.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

RonfarZ3
Chapter Book

Post by RonfarZ3 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:15 pm

I still think "Space Samurai" might be an interesting topic that could have some potential in a variety of genres.
The Fluxion Trilogy available on Smashwords! Follow BMW the Author on Twitter and Facebook!

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:11 am

RonfarZ3 wrote:I still think "Space Samurai" might be an interesting topic that could have some potential in a variety of genres.
You mean "Jedi"? :P

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:14 am

More ideas for Adrift.

Dying Adrift or Adrift and Dying

You can even have an adrift story about a space samurai. :D

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:27 am

Prehistoric space travel

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:24 am

The last bullet

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:01 pm

Anthology title decided, so I'm locking this topic.