2016 Anthology Progress

An open discussion about anything related to the Midnight Writers. What events you saw us at, progress on the anthologies, or anything else you may want to know.
JL Zenor
Young Adult

2016 Anthology Progress

Post by JL Zenor » Mon May 16, 2016 4:58 pm

I want to give a big thanks to everyone who submitted a story for the Midnight Writers' 2016 Anthology, Domesticated Velociraptors. This anthology has been a lot of fun to put together.

Our team is busy reviewing all of the stories that were submitted so we can choose the best ones for the final product. I would expect acceptance notifications to go out the beginning of June, along with the contracts.

After that we will start on the process of polishing up the stories with our editor and getting the format and layout started. We are hoping to publish this book during Mile Hi Con in October.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage

AmbreLea
Blank Page

Re: 2016 Anthology Progress

Post by AmbreLea » Tue May 17, 2016 5:23 pm

Thank you for the update!

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Tue May 17, 2016 6:02 pm

You're welcome!

Now I need to really start focusing on putting together the contracts....
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Mon May 23, 2016 6:57 pm

We have gone through all of the submissions at length, and given them all lots of discussion, and have finally come to a conclusion. Notices will be going out this week.

If you submitted a story to the anthology, please register on the forums, as we'll be starting up a private subforum just for those who are in the anthology so we can efficiently pass information along to everyone.

The next step will be to send out contracts and start on the editing process. After the contracts have been signed our editor will be going over every story to ensure it's polished as much as possible, and those changes will be sent to the author to ensure we are not making any changes that they feel would be harmful to the story. (We want to make sure it looks professional, not change the story!)

I can't wait for this anthology to be finished! It's going to be awesome. :)

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:32 am

Acceptance and Rejection emails have gone out. If you submitted a story but did not receive an email, contact me. I don't fully trust the system we're using this year.

For those who didn't make it, I am deeply sorry. We had so many awesome submissions this year that it was hard to narrow down the top stories, but I feel that the team did an excellent job of making sure we have a well rounded and excellent selection.

Hokieshibe
Blank Page

Post by Hokieshibe » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:18 pm

HeyPublisher updated it to "accepted," (hooray!) but I didn't receive any emails about it.

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:04 pm

Hokieshibe wrote:HeyPublisher updated it to "accepted," (hooray!) but I didn't receive any emails about it.
That's what I was afraid of... I don't think we'll be using HeyPublisher next time. Nice system but there are several things I don't like about it.

I'll have to manually send out the acceptance emails. Unfortunately, those that were rejected were removed from the system by HeyPublisher so I have no way of sending them emails manually.

But Congratulations on getting accepted! :D

vossfoster
Blank Page

Post by vossfoster » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:03 pm

Confession - half of my crit group may have latched onto this theme. So all those authors from Eastern Washington? We all know each other.

But we're all appreciative =D

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:25 pm

vossfoster wrote:Confession - half of my crit group may have latched onto this theme. So all those authors from Eastern Washington? We all know each other.

But we're all appreciative =D
That is awesome to hear, thank you! We appreciate all of the stories we received. Originally this anthology was just going to be for the members of our group, as we're new to publishing and are trying to figure everything out. However, everybody who heard about the anthology wanted to participate. We didn't think many would actually apply, but we decided to go ahead and make it public. Wow, the response we got was amazing! And the stories were awesome.

I'm glad your critique group had fun writing these stories and I hope everyone made it in.

joenobody
Blank Page

Post by joenobody » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:53 pm

As one rejected I confirm receipt of the proverbial buggerall, as in I would never have known that it had been rejected if it hadn't occurred to me to check on the web page. HeyPublisher failing at the most basic of tasks there. It's not as though getting a server to send notification emails is particularly cutting-edge technology.

Bah.