How to grow your mailing list

Marketing as an author is a huge topic all in itself, so it has its own place on the forums.
JL Zenor
Young Adult

How to grow your mailing list

Post by JL Zenor » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:46 pm

A lot of places today are saying that the best way to grow your mailing list is to not only have great content you give regularly (which we need to do....), but also to offer some type of give away for those that signup.

Here is one article that had some good information: 10 clever ways to seriously grow your email list.

Thoughts?
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage

Brittany Thurman
Flash Fiction

Re: How to grow your mailing list

Post by Brittany Thurman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:12 pm

I've heard this as well. If you are giving something cool away for free, it's a lot more likely that I will put my email address in! One of my favorite business podcasters in Chalene Johnson - she has two podcasts, the business one is called "Build Your Tribe."

Here are a couple of articles/links to podcasts where she talks about freemiums (giveaways): http://www.chalenejohnson.com/podcasts/ ... -are-dead/ and http://www.chalenejohnson.com/goals/gro ... eo-series/

Although I don't necessarily agree with her stance on business cards (she thinks they're unnecessary), she does have some good points about why she thinks that (they can give someone a way out of the conversation without getting anything actionable from them), which may be good to keep in mind when trying to network something.

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Re: How to grow your mailing list

Post by JL Zenor » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:10 pm

Thanks for that! I'll check out those articles.

And good tip about the business card. Maybe make sure that's the last thing you give them before they leave instead of the first. Good to know.
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage