2015-09-28 - W.E. Plot Twists

Get on here each week to share in a writing assignment that will help you grow in your writing knowledge. These are meant to be fairly short.
JL Zenor
Young Adult

2015-09-28 - W.E. Plot Twists

Post by JL Zenor » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:54 pm

This week's Writing Excuses Podcast is about plot twists, with Kevin J. Anderson. This should be interesting.

Listen to the podcast here: http://www.writingexcuses.com/2015/09/2 ... -anderson/

And then discuss your thoughts about it.
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Re: 2015-09-28 - W.E. Plot Twists

Post by JL Zenor » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:59 pm

I've never given much thought to plot twists, really. I never wrote a story with the plot twist being the main idea, so I think most of this wouldn't apply to me until the second draft where I find something that I decide could use some more foreshadowing.

Overall an interesting topic, though.
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.

RonfarZ3
Chapter Book

Post by RonfarZ3 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:11 am

Never realized that plot twists were about changing genres . . . I thought they were surprises in the plot that weren't expected.

As such, I usually don't purposely put these plot twists into my stories. Sometimes they just . . . "happen"?
Often, I'll have something that some characters know, but others don't, which the audience can usually figure out if they're paying attention. Then the "twist" is the reveal and the characters' reaction to it. If the audience isn't expecting the twist, then they'll be caught off guard and will end up being confused.

I think that most plot twists (especially through NaNoWriMo manuscripts) are a result of plot holes that are covered up.
The Fluxion Trilogy available on Smashwords! Follow BMW the Author on Twitter and Facebook!

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:19 am

RonfarZ3 wrote:Never realized that plot twists were about changing genres . . .
That can be a type of plot twist but obviously isn't the only kind. Even in the episode they warned against it, unless you can pull it off right.

Which is pretty much like any of the writing "rules".