2015-10-12 W.E. Character's Moral Pendulum

Get on here each week to share in a writing assignment that will help you grow in your writing knowledge. These are meant to be fairly short.
JL Zenor
Young Adult

2015-10-12 W.E. Character's Moral Pendulum

Post by JL Zenor » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:29 pm

This week's episode of Writing Excuses brings up an interesting topic. Listen to the episode and leave your comments.

http://www.writingexcuses.com/2015/10/1 ... -pendulum/

Lena, I think this goes with one of the characters you are working on for your NaNoWriMo project.
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage

RonfarZ3
Chapter Book

Re: 2015-10-12 W.E. Character's Moral Pendulum

Post by RonfarZ3 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:53 pm

Probably the closest I had to something like this was a character in Second to None who was very passionate about working for this army, but when it came down to his decision to kill someone in order to keep the army's objectives fulfilled, he stayed his hand and eventually ended up fighting against said army in the final battle because he realized that the army's morals did not align with his own. This wasn't a slow change for the character as the instigating event essentially switched him over immediately. Perhaps I'll need to work on slower foreshadowing to show the doubt in a character's decisions.

I too somewhat like the "villain turned hero" swing, but I seem to have far too much going on in my novels to really focus on it. I'll probably have it happen in Sol Champion this year with Ophiuchus, but I've been hinting that his revenge is not based on evil motives (like a villain), but rather on pride (more like an antagonist). Now the "hero turned villain" is another interesting concept and I might have to work that in to future novels :twisted:
The Fluxion Trilogy available on Smashwords! Follow BMW the Author on Twitter and Facebook!

Lena
Short Story

Post by Lena » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:52 am

This podcast was...surprisingly helpful. The way my entire story I'm using for NaNoWriMo is kind of a complete moral arch where a character starts out good/neutral and becomes evil, then becomes neutral/good again. I'm saying 'neutral' because she isn't super-good. Anyways. I have been struggling in my mind about how she was pushed over the edge into 'evil' and what someone on the podcast said about having two choices, both being wrong/bad, made something click. I now think I know why she Turned to the Dark Side and I know the fate of a character I'd been struggling to place in the second part of the story. Along the way there were little steps, but the final ultimatum pushed her over the edge.

Now I want to start my story in a different place.
Ugh. I need another month or two to plan.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Post by JL Zenor » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:16 pm

Lena wrote:This podcast was...surprisingly helpful. The way my entire story I'm using for NaNoWriMo is kind of a complete moral arch where a character starts out good/neutral and becomes evil, then becomes neutral/good again. I'm saying 'neutral' because she isn't super-good. Anyways. I have been struggling in my mind about how she was pushed over the edge into 'evil' and what someone on the podcast said about having two choices, both being wrong/bad, made something click. I now think I know why she Turned to the Dark Side and I know the fate of a character I'd been struggling to place in the second part of the story. Along the way there were little steps, but the final ultimatum pushed her over the edge.
Awesome! :D
Lena wrote:Now I want to start my story in a different place.
Ugh. I need another month or two to plan.
There are always reasons why we need more time to plan. Sometimes starting even when you aren't completely ready is the only way to get you moving on the project that might otherwise forever stay in the planning stages. It's one of the benefits of NaNoWriMo.

But I know what you mean.... I have a ton of planning, and other things, to do still... Only 18 more days!
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage

Lena
Short Story

Post by Lena » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:41 pm

Well, to justify my reaction, I was writing a totally different book before we talked that one Wednesday so I haven't been outlining my current novel very long. Maybe next year I'll start planning in January :P
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

RonfarZ3
Chapter Book

Post by RonfarZ3 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:43 am

From my experience, start planning 13 months ahead of time . . . when you should be planning for the current November :lol:
The Fluxion Trilogy available on Smashwords! Follow BMW the Author on Twitter and Facebook!