Lickies and Chewies

Discuss anything off-topic in this forum.
Joe
Flash Fiction

Lickies and Chewies

Post by Joe » Tue May 19, 2015 6:53 pm

So what are your guys favorite snacks for when you write? Do you enjoy a nice beverage with your meal? How about some music? Just a little curious to your guys' process. What inspires you to write? What kind of personal experience have you endured to get the style you write with? Personally, I've mainly just had a long and relentless life full of disappointments and darkness. Horror writing is the only way I can truly express myself without going completely nuts. I enjoy a warm tea, but nothing to snack on where as it distracts me so much from my work, and as far as music goes, I don't enjoy listening to music. It's easier to hear the voices of inspiration in my head if I have even the slightest sound going on around me. I think it's because I didn't really listen to music growing up where I lived, so I guess the dead silence just comforts me.
This calls for cake!

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Re: Lickies and Chewies

Post by JL Zenor » Tue May 19, 2015 7:20 pm

This topic covers a wide range of things.

I can write in silence, if it's actually silent, which is rare to find. So I have to listen to music so it drowns out everything else. It has to be wordless music though, for the most part.

What inspires me to write? Coming up with interesting story ideas. :D I love doing creative things but mostly suck at it. But writing I seem to be able to do fairly well at, with enough editing. Even when I was a kid I enjoyed writing stories.
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage

RonfarZ3
Chapter Book

Post by RonfarZ3 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:57 pm

I'm in a similar boat in terms of music. It's rare to find a truly quiet place so lyric-less music helps to drown out anything else (I then have control over the "noise"). In terms of food and drink, I usually have a water bottle nearby that I nurse as I write. Too many snacks break away from the momentum, but I do enjoy fun-sized candies as mini-rewards for finishing a section or chapter.

For me, I really get a lot of work done when I know I have an uninterrupted span of time that I have set out in order to get writing done. It usually has to be a good chunk of time (4 hours seems to be the sweet spot), otherwise I limit my momentum because I know I'll have to stop. Perhaps that's why I like the "all day write-in" concept :).
The Fluxion Trilogy available on Smashwords! Follow BMW the Author on Twitter and Facebook!

Brittany Thurman
Flash Fiction

Post by Brittany Thurman » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:23 pm

RonfarZ3 wrote: For me, I really get a lot of work done when I know I have an uninterrupted span of time that I have set out in order to get writing done. It usually has to be a good chunk of time (4 hours seems to be the sweet spot), otherwise I limit my momentum because I know I'll have to stop. Perhaps that's why I like the "all day write-in" concept :).
I am exactly the same way. If I'm editing something, or writing a paper for class, I get almost nothing done if I plan an hour here or there. If I dedicate, as you said, about four hours, I know I can get an amazing amount of work done. Of course, that four hours sometimes easily turns into an eight- or ten-hour session, if I don't have anything else planned.

What do you guys think about the concept of how you are supposed to work uninterrupted for 45-minutes to an hour and then take a 10-15 minute break before going back to work to keep your focus at its peak? I try to do this, and usually end up feeling like I've wasted too much time on breaks.. And sometimes after a break, it is almost impossible to get back into writing mode.

Oh, and as for snacks- I always have coffee or tea and a bottle of water (freeze it and take it out a little before you start... You get bits of ice cold water throughout the session). Don't usually have any food while working.

RonfarZ3
Chapter Book

Post by RonfarZ3 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:36 am

I feel that 45/15 concept is only good if you're really forcing yourself to do something you hate. If you get on a roll, don't let it stop!
Of course, as I write this, I should be re-writing my manuscript, so obviously I don't take my own advice sometimes . . .
The Fluxion Trilogy available on Smashwords! Follow BMW the Author on Twitter and Facebook!