Humble Writers

Discuss anything off-topic in this forum.
Joe
Flash Fiction

Humble Writers

Post by Joe » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Is anyone else having this problem? Do you run into authors who have an arrogant air about them? I'm running into this problem a lot, and I'm not sure what the problem is. It's hard to explain. It's a passive aggressive tone they have that puts me off, and I feel like being treated like a child just because I haven't been as successful with my life as other people. It's driving me crazy because I'm just trying to be an author. Once I find an editor, I'm going to be unstoppable with my novels. I just don't appreciate how other people in this universe act. It's juvenile, and pathetic. With people like this, it's difficult to enjoy my craft. What do you guys do when you run into these people? I'm running into more of them every time I get online.
This calls for cake!

JL Zenor
Young Adult

Re: Humble Writers

Post by JL Zenor » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:40 pm

Ignore them. They aren't the people I want to hang out with or have influence my writing career. :)

There are plenty of awesome authors out there, hang out with them.
Hugh Howey wrote:In everything you do as an author, work harder than anyone else around you. Want it more than you want anything else in life. Even if fortune doesn’t favor you, you’ll have zero regrets, and you’ll create something you’re proud of.
Check out my books: Rite of Passage

RonfarZ3
Chapter Book

Post by RonfarZ3 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:18 am

Yeah, this was why I didn't decide to join the Pikes Peak Writers. Went to one meeting and was immediately put off by the jerks who thought they were better than me because they had "traditionally published" or had gotten a "masters in Fine Arts". If anything, they seem like "old money" to me (a la "The Great Gatsby") and we're just the awesome "new money" authors who are shaking things up.
The Fluxion Trilogy available on Smashwords! Follow BMW the Author on Twitter and Facebook!

Joe
Flash Fiction

Post by Joe » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:57 am

Okay. I thought for sure that it was just me dealing with these issues. It's so demotivating to deal with buzzkills like them. The good news today is, I finally finished my story outline about the domesticated raptors. Gonna work on it as soon as I have decent service. I'll do my best to keep my darkness to a minimum, but I can't promise I'll hide all of it.
This calls for cake!

ALKessler
Short Story

Post by ALKessler » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:58 pm

Ben, I had the same problem with PPW. When I first moved down here I thought it was just because I was younger, but the last time I attended a Write Brain I ran into a similar experience. I've also noticed that with a few local writers as well. It's rough and makes it hard to network with the right people.